Monday, November 19, 2012

Showing Progress...A Little Anyway

Thought I would just post an update on my progress for the crafting home front.  The room is almost finished.  I brought in the new rocker, only to find it was busted.  The wood frame was broken completely apart in one section.  I took it back to the store and was refunded the money.  Since that store didn't have any more, was going to go to a different store location to get the same chair, but ended up going to the storage unit and brought home mom's little rocker.  It fits the space perfectly, but doesn't quite fit me.  Not sure exactly what it is, but my legs just don't quite fit, not long after sitting in the rocker, they feel like they are going to sleep from the knee down.  Reminds me of sitting too long on a tail gate or the top rail of a fence.  At any rate, I moved it closer to the wall, not so much room to rock, but seems to let my body sit better.  Will give a few weeks to see how it works out.  Maybe I just need to get used to it a bit.

I was having a heck of a time with the lighting as well, so bought one of those clamp on lamps and moved things around on the shelves so I could clamp it on with out it getting anything warm. You know, books or fabric or machines.  That part is working really great.  I still have to remove one chest of drawers to make room for a smaller chest and mirror set in mom's stored things.  Then, it will be pretty much a matter of boxes to go through and will be done with all of mom's things. That will be a good day when all of that is behind me.  

On to other news.

Both of these UFO projects are now trash.  The mailboxes was a crewel embroidery kit that I bought and started in the late 70's.  I had changed the address on the mailbox twice.  Thought about trying to finish it up, still had all the thread for it and the directions, but on closer inspection found that a significant amount of the stitches had worn apart and broken at the edges where it came in and out of the fabric.  The thread for the project was not in any better shape so...I dumped it all.  It had some sentimental memories attached that I didn't want to carry around either.

The second project, the hose, after doing a considerable amount of work on I found that I had stitches several rows off from where they should be, rows missing completely and sets of stitches where they shouldn't be.  The whole thing was going to end up looking like a photo torn apart and put back together...but not quite matching. So...I scrapped it as well.  I still have the chart and most of the thread, so went and bought some new cloth and will start over from the beginning, but not until I get a few things finished up.  I didn't toss it though, there is quite a bit of empty cloth at the bottom that I can use for some smaller designs.

Besides, I went a little nuts and bought several kits that were on sale so now have enough to keep me busy for about three years.  Longer, considering how long it takes me to stitch.  Also, since I have the PC Stitch 10 software, am thinking about using some family photographs to make some charts.  Since they are my photos, am thinking about making them in to charts and with the addition of cloth and thread, sell as a kit.

On a more positive note.  Thankfully a very kind person was able to provide me with a chart to finish my Nativity project.

My camera has quit, bought a new one, but it is not raking a very clear image for some reason. However, you can see that there is not a lot of progress, considering how long I have been working on it, but there is some positive progress.  At least this project has had no major mistakes on it.  Everything has been where it is supposed to be.  With the exception of one little set of stitches, about four all together, so I just stitched the correct  color thread on top of them.  It will be my humility patch so to speak.  Yes, I know that one is not supposed to do that, suppose it can be stated that it would break down the threads, warp the weave or such, but I just don't mind.  The finished project is for me, for my own personal use after all.

I wonder, when I am dead and gone, what my kids will think about all the stuff their mom has attached to and whether or not they will just end up trashing it all, or some of it, as I have been doing with my mom's things?  That thought would have bothered me at one time, just as it has bothered me to discard some of my mom's things.  But in the long run, the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't seem to matter any more.  Maybe that is what I am telling myself to get through the holidays.  I think that Christmas is going to be very tough.

Well, off to get a little something done while the grand baby sleeps.  Thank you for stopping in and come again.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear about you having to go through Thanksgiving and Christmas without your mom this year. Going through her things must be hard. Maybe having her rocker in your craft room will help you!

    I'm glad to see all the projects you are working on. They are lo0oking nice.

    I saw on ILCS that you decided to frog and re-stitch the section of the project you made an error on. You said you made more progress on that than before what you had frogged. Glad to hear it!

    I know tossing half done projects has to be hard, but I can understand why you did it. The one project where you said you can save most of the material --- that's a good thing!