Friday, December 30, 2011

One Up On Chick Filet.

I know, technically it is Chick-fil-a, but there you go.  Youngest son, 22, home for the Christmas break from college, is in love with the new Chick-fil-a Banana Pudding Shake.  He requested that I see if I could find a recipe for it so we could make it at home.  Now, request like this are just to precious and too hard to pass up.  So, Google my dear friend, did not let me down.

The first recipe I found was this here.  It seemed pretty easy so I jotted it down. There were also a couple of other ones, but in the end I made my own recipe up.  Also, the original poster of the recipe uses soy milk, which is a bit pricey and am sure that the restaurant was not using soy milk so neither did I.   Son announced that mine was better than Chick-fil-a's.
Okay, so I can't figure out how to make the image stay turned the correct way, but you get the idea.  Being recently diagnosed with diabetes, I do tend to tweak the recipes a bit, aiming for lower sugar, carbs and calories.  That being said, here is my recipe.

Copy Cat Chick-fil-a Banana Pudding Shake

3/4 cup 2% milk
3 Tablespoons sugar free instant banana cream pudding mix
1 cup Blue Bunny Frozen Vanilla Yogurt
Whipped Cream
Vanilla wafers
Cherry

I have this really cool little gizmo that I got on clearance at Walmart last year.  It is like a bullet or single serve size blender.  That is what I used.

Pour the milk into the blender, mix in the instant pudding mix.  This is the key, mix this first.  Then added the frozen yogurt and blended.  Poured it in to a cup, garnish with whipped cream, slices of banana, crumbled vanilla wafers and a cherry.  For a diabetic, it still falls under the "Once In A Great While" category, but for the most part, it is a bit healthier than with whole milk and ice cream.  It was absolutely a huge hit with the family.

As for Christmas leftovers, there isn't any.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the family has managed to eat up just about all of it.  Now it is time to cook again for New Year's Day.  On the planned menu is Ham, macaroni and cheese, black eyed peas, potato salad, fruit salad, and kicking around possibly making some carrots and brussel sprouts.  I was a bit shocked to find that over the week the family hit the pies, the pumpkin is all gone as well as one buttermilk pie.  I still have the cheesecakes and one buttermilk pie. Oldest son will not touch a carrot, we both worked for the company that raises and sells carrots and vegetable products (actually, about 85% of the world's market), while I worked in the construction division, he worked electrical in the shipping department and he cannot even stand to smell a carrot anymore.

I will post how it turns out.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment